How much does a Patent Attorney make? The average patent attorney salary is $96,081 per year, or $46.19 per hour, in the United States. People on the lower end of that spectrum, the bottom 10% to be exact, make roughly $51,000 a year, while the top 10% makes $177,000. As most things go, location can be critical.
Do patent lawyers make good money?
While ZipRecruiter is seeing salaries as high as $166,636 and as low as $26,052, the majority of Patent Lawyer salaries currently range between $60,460 (25th percentile) to $98,310 (75th percentile) with top earners (90th percentile) making $124,854 annually in California.
How much do top patent attorneys make?
Top Patent Attorney Salary
|25th Percentile Top Patent Attorney Salary||$218,992||US|
|50th Percentile Top Patent Attorney Salary||$260,779||US|
|75th Percentile Top Patent Attorney Salary||$300,210||US|
|90th Percentile Top Patent Attorney Salary||$336,111||US|
How much do PhD patent lawyers make?
According to our 100% employer reported salary sources the median salary for a Patent Attorney III with a JD, MD, PhD or Equivalent is $168,593 – $181,162.
Why are patent attorneys paid so much?
Patent lawyers, like other lawyers charge by hour or perhaps a fixed fee. They get paid regardless the patent is granted or their side wins the court case or not. Big companies are willing to pay, because while most patents are not valuable, a small number become extremely valuable.
Is patent attorney a good career?
For Patent Attorneys, it’s a sector of law that offers huge amounts of variety, a good work/life balance and a career path with longevity.
What is the highest paid lawyer?
Highest paid lawyers: salary by practice area
- Patent attorney: $180,000.
- Intellectual property (IP) attorney: $162,000.
- Trial attorneys: $134,000.
- Tax attorney (tax law): $122,000.
- Corporate lawyer: $115,000.
- Employment lawyer: $87,000.
- Real Estate attorney: $86,000.
- Divorce attorney: $84,000.
Where do patent lawyers get paid the most?
Highest paying cities for Patent Attorneys in United States
- San Francisco, CA. 7 salaries reported. $230,827. per year.
- Los Angeles, CA. 9 salaries reported. $212,882. per year.
- Seattle, WA. 6 salaries reported. $204,164. per year.
- Austin, TX. 8 salaries reported. $191,936. per year.
- 7 salaries reported. $189,068. per year.
Which lawyers make the most?
Here Are The 5 Types Of Lawyers That Make The Most Money
- Corporate Lawyer – $98,822 annually. …
- Tax Attorneys – $99,690 annually. …
- Trial Attorneys – $101,086. …
- IP Attorneys – $140,972 annually. …
- Medical Lawyers – $150,881 annually.
How much do patent attorneys make per hour?
The average hourly wage for a Patent Attorney I in the United States is $47 as of October 29, 2021, but the range typically falls between $35 and $61.
Are patent lawyers in demand?
“The demand for patent law is very high. We are running at 100 percent. … According to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 669,434 patent applications were filed in 2019 which was up from 643,303 in 2018. The number filed in 2018 was down from 651,355 the year before.
What does a patent lawyer do?
Patent attorneys are experts in preparing and filing patent applications and representing clients in court for patent-related matters such as infringement, licensing, and re-examination.
How much do Silicon Valley lawyers make?
Salaries by years of experience in Silicon Valley, CA
|Years of experience||Per year|
|1 to 2 years||$97,498|
|3 to 5 years||–|
|6 to 9 years||$120,705|
|More than 10 years||$139,544|