Section Legislative Positions
Workers' Compensation Section
August 4, 20161. Supports any changes in the current workers' compensation law that would: ensure the independence of the judges of compensation claims' ability to discharge the duties of their office in the adjudicatory process, including a reappointment process that promotes and ensures the independence of the judiciary; and ensure the right of injured workers to have their cases reviewed by an Article V court.
2. Supports any legislation that would streamline and make more efficient the administration of justice in the workers' compensation system.
3. Supports any legislation that would further enforce the insurance coverage requirements of the Workers' Compensation Act.
4. Supports the elimination of exemptions to workers' compensation coverage within the construction industry.
5. Supports legislation which promotes access to courts, due process and the ability of employer/carriers, self-insureds and employees to obtain legal representation in the handling of workers' compensation claims.
6. Supports legislation which would ensure the independence of the Consumer Advocate within the office
7. Opposes legislation restricting the payment of attorney's fees - either to the attorney of the injured worker or to the attorney for the employer/carrier/self-insured.
8. Supports an increase in the salaries of Judges of Compensation Claims.
9. Opposes any legislation that abolishes the statewide nominating commission for judges of compensation claims.